The chapel of Ronchamp, work of Le Corbusier, is halfway through its restoration

The chapel of Ronchamp, work of Le Corbusier, is halfway through its restoration

The famous chapel of Notre-Dame du Haut de Ronchamp (Haute-Saône), masterpiece of the architect Le Corbusier, will complete the first phase of its restoration in July, which should then continue until the summer. 2024, we learned on Tuesday from the association that owns the building, in charge of the site.

The work will be completed in July on the West and North facades, as well as on the turrets, following those on the South facade and the concrete shell carried out last year, indicated the Association Œuvre Notre-Dame du Haut. , owner of the site, local authorities and representatives of the State, during a press briefing. 

The second part of the interventions will concern the east facade and the main tower "from September", then the interior of the chapel "a priori from February 2024", so as to complete the restoration "in the summer of 2024". , told AFP Jean-Jacques Virot, president of the Association.

This restoration represents a total amount of 2,7 million euros, 90% financed by the State, the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region and the Haute-Saône department, which leaves 10% at the expense of the 'Association by appeal for donations and sponsorship, according to the document sent to the press on Tuesday.

One of Le Corbusier's most emblematic works, the chapel built in concrete in 1955 on a hill is one of the 17 works listed since 2016 as UNESCO World Heritage by the Swiss architect who became French naturalized and who revolutionized his discipline in the XNUMXth century.

It is visited each year by 65.000 visitors from all over the world. However, it has undergone alterations over time that justify the work in progress. "The pathologies to be treated on the outside of the building concern cracks, spalling (surface chips linked to the migration of humidity), as well as sealing defects", described Jean-Jacques Virot.

The site is also being used to restore the white lime coating characteristic of the building. "It will be made a little less clear and a little less matte" than the original one, but will be "in respect" of the initial work, "it remains very white", underlined Mr. Virot.

Editorial staff with AFP

Image credit: Shutterstock / lauravr

In the category Culture >

Recent news >