#BringBackOurGirls: Freed by the Nigerian army, a girl from Chibok was able to give birth in safety

#BringBackOurGirls: Freed by the Nigerian army, a girl from Chibok was able to give birth in safety

Kidnapped in Chibok in 2014, pregnant Hauwa Maltha was released alongside Esther Marcus by the Nigerian military.

According to a recent investigation report from the US Commission for International Religious Freedom, 100 Chibok girls are still being held by Boko Haram. But, last April, two of them were freed by the Nigerian army.

On April 14, 2014, 276 high school girls were abducted from the government secondary school for girls in the village of Chibok by Boko Haram militants. Under the #BringBackOurGirls, the international community was outraged and demanded their release.

Hauwa Maltha and Esther Marcus were among those 276 schoolgirls. They have just been released and have been able to rejoin their families, according to the words of Ibrahim Ali, who heads the Nigerian military operation against the extremist violence suffered in the north-eastern region.

Hauwa and Esther are now 26 years old. They have been married several times to Boko Haram militants and have children. "Hauwa was approximately eight months pregnant and two weeks pregnant when she was rescued, gave birth to a baby boy on April 28 while undergoing a thorough medical examination with her baby Fatima," Ibrahim Ali said in quoted remarks. by Associated Press. She was cared for with her infant at a local hospital.

Hauwa had first been married to a certain Salman, who died in the Lake Chad region.

"Subsequently, Hauwa Maltha married a Mallam Muhammad in Gobara and had 2 children for him who later died of illness. Muhammad, her second husband, was killed in the terrorist enclaves of 'Ukuba in Sambisa Forest during clashes between Boko Haram and ISWAP'

Esther also had successive marriages in the Sambisa forest.



Image credit: Shutterstock / rSnapshotPhotos

In the International category >

Recent news >